ACT Now Fund FAQs
ABOUT THE ACT NOW FUND:
- What is the ACT Now Fund? The ACT Now Fund was created to respond to the needs of nonprofit organizations providing critical services to Alexandrians in response to a significant community crisis, in this case, the partial Federal Government Shutdown. ACT and the City of Alexandria recognize that nonprofit organizations responding to this unanticipated crisis are seeing an increase in the demand for services and need financial support to address these unexpected needs.
- What are the funding priorities of the ACT Now Fund? Grants will be given to support a broad range of programs and services. Priority will be given to help meet short-term, unanticipated emergency services (food, housing, financial assistance, child care assistance and mental health services) followed by services that help affected workers become more resilient and rebound. This funding is intended to support an unanticipated increase in demand for services and is not designed for general operating support or on-going programming.
- What is the need? According to the Metropolitan Council of Governments, 4.3% of the federal workforce lives in Alexandria. Thousands more federal contract workers, as well as those who provide support services to federal workers, are experiencing permanent loss of income or temporary lay-offs. Even if the shutdown ends tomorrow, due to the lag in timing for the next paycheck or the depletion of savings, many workers will struggle to meet basic household needs. As nonprofit organizations respond, they may become financially vulnerable themselves as they scramble to cover the cost of expanding their services.
- Who is funding the ACT Now Fund? The Fund was started with a $25,000 donation from ACT for Alexandria’s Community Fund and matched with a $25,000 donation from the City of Alexandria. ACT is accepting donations from the community to provide additional grant support to nonprofits in need. Click here to make a donation now.
- How do I apply for an ACT Now Fund grant? Apply online at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/actnowfund
- Who is eligible to apply for an ACT Now Fund grant? Nonprofit 501(c)3 organizations that meet the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Organizations that are seeing an increase in the need for services from vulnerable Alexandrians as a result of the partial Federal Government Shutdown
- Organizations must use funds to serve City of Alexandria residents.
- What is the size of an ACT Now Fund grant? The maximum grant request is $5,000
- How often can I apply for and receive funding? Organizations are eligible to receive funding once every 30 days.
- How and when will I know if I’ve received funding? Please review the following timeline for application deadlines and notification dates.
|Applications Must be Received by:||Decisions Made by:|
|February 1||February 8|
|February 15||February 22|
|March 1||March 8|
|March 15||March 22|
|March 29||April 5|
- How can I support the ACT Now Fund? You can make a tax-deductible donation online at: https://www.givegab.com/campaigns/act-now-fund or mail a check to ACT for Alexandria/ACT Now Fund, 201 King Street, Suite 200, Alexandria, VA 22314.
- How will my donation be used? ACT will accept applications from nonprofit organizations every two weeks and make grants decisions within one week of receiving the application. ACT will provide a report to the community this summer on how the funds were disbursed.
- When will the funds be made available to selected nonprofits? Decisions will be made within one week of receiving the application. Funds will be sent to nonprofit organizations within two weeks of submitting an application.
- Does ACT receive any fees for managing the ACT Now Fund? No. 100% of the donations will be awarded to nonprofits.
If you have additional questions, please contact Brandi Yee at email@example.com or 703-739-7778.