Since its inception, ACT has been committed to strengthening and supporting the nonprofit sector. One way we do this is through our annual IMPACT: Innovation + Philanthropy Forum. IMPACT convenes 200+ board, business, City, community, philanthropic, and nonprofit leaders to discuss innovations in philanthropy and strategies for building the capacity of nonprofit organizations and individuals to make a lasting impact in the community. ACT believes that when the nonprofit sector is strong, our community thrives.
ACT is finalizing the keynote speaker and location of IMPACT. Possible dates include early December 2018 and early – mid January 2019. We will send an update as soon as we have confirmed the speaker and location. The venue will be in the City of Alexandria.
IMPACT 2018 Objectives:
- Create an environment for people to explore together and learn from one another about racial equity and why it is important for our community
- Provide a space for connecting and networking among community leaders
- Develop next steps for ACT for community conversations around racial equity
- Share aspects of ACT’s strategic plan and highlight plans related to our commitment to racial equity
IMPACT 2018 Desired Outcomes:
- Deepened perspectives, practices and preparedness of individuals and/or organizations to think with a racial equity focus/lens
- Tangible activity/action for ACT to take as a next step
- Through breakout sessions, increase individual nonprofit’s and nonprofit sector’s ability to integrate racial equity practices in their work and operations
- Stronger peer-to-peer connections among nonprofit leaders and board members
- ACT will share its learnings and experience with the foundation and nonprofit sectors
About Breakout Sessions:
IMPACT typically offers three concurrent, 75-minute, interactive sessions, where participants hear from peer practitioners, nonprofit organizations and consultants as they discuss specific concepts, frameworks and tools that have immediate practical application that leads to more effective support of nonprofit organizations. The size of each breakout session can range from 40-60 attendees. Our goal for this year’s sessions is to weave a racial equity theme into each session, either directly as a primary topic or indirectly as a core session element.
ACT is working with a planning committee, comprised of nonprofit, foundation and community leaders, to gather valuable input and perspective on breakout session selection. The committee will consider proposals that observe the following recommendations:
- Interactive design and content – Participants are seeking an opportunity to interact, network and learn with colleagues.
- Useful tools and frameworks – Sessions should offer ways to help move participants from knowledge to action.
- Focus on the learning needs of the audience
- Focus on applying ideas to audience’s work and demonstrating results
- Apply a racial equity lens to content
The deadline for proposals has been extended to September 24, 2018. Notification of selection will be Monday, October 15, 2018.
Breakout Session Commitment:
For sessions that are selected, designers and speakers will be expected to:
- Plan and participate in calls with each other and ACT staff to assist in session planning
- Share session resources/slides following the event to be posted on the ACT website
- Provide bio, headshot and session materials to ACT in advance of the event
ACT is unable to provide financial compensation to presenters but can offer complimentary Forum registration for two guests.
If you have any questions about this RFP, please contact Brandi Yee, Chief Program Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-739-7778.