ALX Cares Grocery Gift Card Program Overview
ACT for Alexandria and the City of Alexandria are partnering with local nonprofit organizations to distribute grocery store gift cards to residents in need of assistance as a result of being impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The ALX Cares Grocery Gift Card Program is a pilot program made possible through funding received by the City of Alexandria through the CARES Act. The program has awarded funding to competitively selected Community Partners to provide 1,000 gift cards per month for the next four months to eligible individuals and families.
Community Partners include African Communities Together, Catholic Charities Diocese of Arlington, Community Lodgings, Ethiopian Community Development Council, Northern Virginia Family Service, Tenants and Workers United, and The Campagna Center. The gift cards will allow people to purchase food based on their dietary needs and cultural preferences. The program also supports greater physical distancing by having fewer people at food distribution sites.
Gifts cards will be provided in denominations of $100, $200 and $400 to eligible individuals and families through October, or for as long as funding is available. To be eligible, gift card recipients must provide documentation of financial hardship due to COVID-19, fall at or below 50% of Area Median Income (AMI), and reside in the City of Alexandria, which includes zip codes of 22206, 22301, 22302, 22304, 22305, 22311, 22312 or 22314. Priority will be given to residents who have not received federal assistance during the pandemic, but those who have received federal assistance during the pandemic may also apply.
The community partners will begin eligibility screening and card distribution with their existing clients in mid-July. In late-August, the City and ACT will invite those who are not being served by these community partners to apply for ALX Cares grocery gift cards.
Gift Card Participant Criteria:
To be eligible for the program, participants must be City of Alexandria residents who:
- Reside in the following zip codes: 22206, 22301, 22302, 22304, 22305, 22311, 22312, 22314
- Are disproportionately impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic
- Have documented experience of financial hardship and income loss due to Covid-19
- Fall at or below 50% of Area Median Income (AMI) - $63,000 for a family of four, $44,100 for an individual
- The ALX Cares Grocery Gift Card Program priority is for those who have not received federal assistance during Covid-19, but those who have received federal assistance during the pandemic may also apply