ACT is honored to be selected as one of 50 organizations selected by The Citi Foundation as the newest recipients of the Community Progress Makers initiative. The $25 million grant initiative supports visionary organizations that are working to connect low-income communities and communities of color to greater social and economic opportunity in six cities across the United States: Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City, San Francisco Bay Area and Washington, D.C. Each Community Progress Maker will receive an unrestricted grant of $500,000 and access to technical assistance and a supportive learning community from 2022 – 2023.
“Six years ago, the Citi Foundation launched Community Progress Makers with a vision of empowering community leaders to grow their transformative impact through unrestricted, trust-based funding,” said Brandee McHale, Head of Community Investing and Development and President of the Citi Foundation.
“This kind of approach and support is more important than ever as the U.S. continues to address the root causes and impacts of income and wealth inequality. Through the Community Progress Makers initiative, these social innovators and advocates can continue to look for new ways of addressing long-standing societal challenges at scale.”
ACT was selected as a Community Progress Maker because of its commitment to and track record in addressing racial equity, experience serving as a “community quarterback” that brings together multiple parties to address community wide goals, commitment to addressing economic mobility and stability for low-income Alexandrians, and intent to use its influence to shape policy and solutions.
ACT will use the support from the Citi Foundation to address the following objectives:
- Change public mindset around poverty and the underlying causes (systemic and institutional racism) through impactful storytelling and communications
- Build community power and voice by funding grants for community organizing and launching a Youth Council and Community Fellows program
- Build the capacity of the Alexandria nonprofit sector
- Convene partners (organizations, government, and business) to breakdown silos and increase coordination and alignment
Key programs and initiatives include:
- Alexandria Resilience Fund
- Childcare Stabilization Grants
- Child Tax Credit Outreach & Emergency Support Grants
- Community Fellows
- Guaranteed Income Pilot
- Racial Equity Fund
- Racial Equity IMPACT Forum
- Youth Council
- Youth Support Network
ACT is on a journey with our partners to nurture a racially just Alexandria where all residents thrive. This incredible award is an investment in ACT and Alexandria, giving us the momentum to address long-standing challenges like the economic stability and mobility of low-income Alexandrians.